"But if it is believed that these elementary schools will be better managed by...any other general authority of the government, than by the parents within each ward [district], it is a belief against all experience." --Thomas Jefferson


Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Why I am running

The main reason I am running is that I have kids in the Alpine School District. We all want the best education possible for our children. So, the question really is, what makes me different? What do I have to offer to you?

It's time that Alpine School District re-prioritizes Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic. My set of experiences in operating my own data migration business, helping found a charter school, home schooling, participating in public schools (2 children in public school) and belonging to the PTA enables me to understand a greater dimension of educational needs in the district. These experiences have exposed me to varied programs, curricula, needs and solutions that exist in our area.

My top issues are:

1. Change the culture in the district to pro-actively involve parents in all levels of their children's education. Utilize technology to make the district more inclusive and transparent.
2. Encourage and promote academic excellence, specifically with the basics (three R's).
3. Math, math, math, math.
4. Evaluate non-classroom programs and expenses in order to be directly accountable to the taxpayers.
5. Ensure that associations and advisors are focused on academics and not politics.
6. Site-based management, e.g. more local control at each school.

I will go into more depth on each of these items in subsequent posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment