"But if it is believed that these elementary schools will be better managed by...any other general authority of the government, than by the parents within each ward [district], it is a belief against all experience." --Thomas Jefferson


Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Appointing a New Board Member

On Tuesday, March 29, the board interviewed the fourteen school board candidates for District 4.  I was impressed with the credentials and the comments of each of the candidates.  On one hand, it was a hard decision because we had such a good group to choose from.  On the other, it was easy because you didn't feel like anyone would make a lousy board member.  Still, to be asked to select a representative for your fellow citizens is an awesome and daunting task.  It is tempting to look for someone who you would work well with, but equally important, is to find someone who you think will represent their constituents.  I am grateful that, most of the time, this task is left up to the people, themselves.  It is hard to know what qualities and concerns will bear sway in their minds.

After the interviews, the board met in closed session to discuss the character and competence of the candidates.  This afternoon, a motion will be made to appoint one of those individuals to the vacant board position.  Then, the new board member will be sworn in.  I was grateful to hear the thoughts and comments of my fellow board members.  My biggest concern was to find someone who seemed to be an average-enough person and could accurately represent the people of District 4.  I am pleased with the process so far.

Also this evening, I will be attending a regional meeting for the Utah School Boards Association.  Then, next week is the National School Boards Association Convention in San Francisco.  Since that is my old stomping ground, I am happy to go back.  There's nothing quite like the City by the Bay. (Yes, I'm a Journey fan.)  While I love San Francisco, I want to make sure that my time and your resources are used wisely.  My plan is to attend as many events as possible this first year, and then evaluate the ROI (Return on Investment) for you, the taxpayers. As always, I look forward to your feedback.

UPDATE: The Board of Education voted to appoint Mark Clement to the District 4 board vacancy.  I look forward to working with Dr. Clement and welcome him to the board.

No comments:

Post a Comment