"But if it is believed that these elementary schools will be better managed by...any other general authority of the government, than by the parents within each ward [district], it is a belief against all experience." --Thomas Jefferson


Thursday, January 27, 2011

Jan. 25, 2011: Orem City Council Meeting and Jan. 27, 2011: Investment Committee Meeting

Orem City Council


Tuesday, Jan. 25, most of the board, the superintendent, and business office, met with the mayor, some staff, and members of the Orem City Council.  I was told the reason for the meeting was to develop relationships and to address common issues.  The Vineyard URA was discussed.  We presented our side of it.  Some members of the Orem side were supportive but felt they couldn't say much.  One member is the listing agent for the property and felt ASD should have communicated with Vineyard more about this issue.  Some board members mentioned that they had brought this to Orem's attention more than a year ago, and ASD was in discussions with Vineyard all the while.

My Take:


The ASD Board meets with Orem City every other month for lunch.  It has been suggested meeting with Lehi City on a regular basis, as well.  I think it is good to get know people with whom you will have dealings, but I will be asking about getting to know those in the rest of the cities we represent.  I understand the district hosts an annual luncheon with all the city -related staff/elected officers from all the cities in its boundaries.  ASD also schedules additional meetings with individual cities when major issues (e.g. construction projects) take place.  It was suggested to me (by one of you) that multiple, smaller annual luncheons take place with two or three cities involved in each one.  I am going to propose this.  


Investment Committee:


Today, I was able to phone in on the Investment Committee meeting.  (I've been ill, so I didn't want to share.)  Most of the committee meetings are district staff meetings with the superintendent and/or other staff.  Some of the Board are assigned/invited to attend to keep up with the doings of the district.  I am unsure how much of this is public (I assume all of it, since it's money), but until I find out, I will refrain from commenting further.  Suffice it to say that the board has approved an investment policy, and the current actions of the investment committee are following that policy.  There was a suggestion to adjust the investment policy.  That will be prepared by the district staff, and submitted to the Board for approval.  I agree with this suggestion, and since it will be approved in an open Board Meeting, you'll get more information on it later.



No comments:

Post a Comment